Thursday, April 25, 2013
- Survey by two leading healthcare companies reveals lack of awareness
- Report to be submitted to Municipal Corporation of Delhi
New Delhi, April 25, 2013: As the nation observes World Malaria Day today, most of Delhi-NCR’s well developed residential colonies are yet to gear up for the fight against the deadly mosquito menace. There is greater and urgent need to build further awareness among the RWAs of even well-to-do colonies in the national capital region, on the need to understand their own preparedness to fight against the mosquito menace and act accordingly. While many of the RWAs have done commendable work in improving upon the conditions of their colonies to make them mosquito free, there is still lot to be done.
This was revealed in a month long self-assessment survey conducted by India’s largest natural healthcare product company Dabur under its mosquito repellent brand Odomos in partnership with leading healthcare provider Fortis Healthcare across some of the well developed areas of Delhi-NCR region under a social initiative titled “Dabur Odomos Zero Tolerance Against Mosquito”. The detailed report of the survey would be submitted to Municipal Corporation of Delhi for further action on the same.
The campaign team reached out to 321 RWAs in Delhi-NCR, covering more than 50,000 households and an estimated 2 lacs population, asking them to share details of their initiatives to prevent mosquito breeding and fight against mosquito-borne diseases. Residential colonies of these areas were covered in the sample survey– Rohini, IP Extension, Kalkaji, Vasant Kunj, Alaknanda, Hauz Khas, R K Puram, Dwarka, Noida, Faridabad, Indirapuram, Vaishali, Gurgaon.
Some of the key findings of the survey are:
- 57% of colonies the survey reached out to are yet to understand their own preparedness to face the mosquito menace. There is need to build higher level of awareness amongst them on the need to know conditions of their respective colonies for themselves and improve upon the conditions accordingly to fight against mosquito borne diseases.
- 2Of theremaining RWAs who got the self-assessment and colony inspection done, around 66 RWAs (or 48% of them) filed information which were far divorced from the ground realities as found during site inspection and verification. These RWAs are not clear about where they stand in their preparedness to face the mosquito menace and hence are still ill-prepared to fight against the mosquito borne diseases. Only 70 RWAs reached under the campaign were found to be aware of the mosquito menace, were concerned about the same and have worked upon improving the condition of their colonies on their own or with the support from civic bodies.
- Even within these 70 aware RWAs, 69% still have open dustbins adding to the risk of mosquito breeding. Besides, around 19% of them have not done or planned a fumigation as yet, while 16% gets a fumigation done only once in a year. Around 25% of these colonies don't maintain the gardens within the colonies on a weekly basis, while almost 19% colonies still have open sewer and drains. 20% still have open garbage dumps and garbage piles regularly, while 26% colonies have potholed roads within the colonies.
Sharing the findings of the self-assessment survey with media, Mr Rohit Prakash Gupta, Category Head – Home Care, Dabur India Ltd., said, “As as brand we have been working towards helping people stay safe from mosquito borne diseases through product innovations by extensive R&D over the years. As an extension to that, we took up this social initiative to help build public awareness. Under Odomos Zero Tolerance Against Mosquito, we reached out to prominent residential colonies of Delhi/NCR to conduct a self-assessment survey to help the RWAs understand their own preparedness to face the forthcoming season of deadly mosquito borne diseases and also to identify and acknowledge the work done by them so far to improve upon the conditions in their respective colonies to make them mosquito free. This has lead us to realize that there is far higher need and urgency to create further awareness amongst the RWAs even in well to do areas of the national capital region.”
Adding further Mr Gupta said, “In the meantime we provided all the residents of the participating societies with free packs of Odomos as that is the only preventive product that keeps one safe from mosquitoes when outdoors and also got fumigation drives conducted in 25 of the colonies. We would be rewarding the best 5 RWAs who have been found to be doing commendable works towards making their colonies mosquito free, in a series of functions to be held next week, to encourage them as well as other RWAs to gear up for the fight against mosquito borne diseases.”
About Dabur India Ltd
Dabur India Ltd is one of India's leading FMCG Companies. Building on a legacy of quality and experience for over 127 years, Dabur is today India's most trusted name and the world's largest Ayurvedic and Natural Health Care Company. Dabur India's FMCG portfolio includes five flagship brands with distinct brand identities -- Dabur as the master brand for natural healthcare products, Vatika for premium hair care, Hajmola for digestives, Réal for fruit-based beverages and Fem for fairness bleaches & skin care.
For Details :
Mr. Byas Anand Corporate Communications Dabur India Limited PH:- 95120-3982000, 3001000 extn 2101/2547 Fax: 95120-4374935 Email:email@example.com