Benefits Of Honey For Acidity
Most of us don’t know what acidity or acid reflux is. Let us first understand what acidity is and how it affects our bodies. Acidity is caused due to excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. If your esophageal sphincter does not contract properly, the gastric acid starts traveling backward, which means from stomach into the esophagus (or the food pipe). This then gives you burning sensations in your throat and chest. Other symptoms of acid reflux are heartburn, sore throats stomach bloating and gas. Some of the reasons for acidity is poor diet, smoking, over-eating, and ingesting alcohol and lack of sleep.
Why Use Honey for Acidity?
Honey is a powerhouse of many vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids. People have known honey’s anti-bacterial and healing properties, and use it for treating variety of conditions like - treating sore throats, skin nourishment, relieve coughs, reduces inflammation. Now there is one more addition to this diverse list – it can be useful in acidity also. Honey is a powerful source of antioxidants which helps in preventing cell damage by free radicals. Research says that acid reflux can happen due to radicals which damage cells lining the digestive tract. Consuming honey here can play an imperative role as it controls damage by removing free radicals. It also reduces inflammation in the food pipe. Having honey for acidity is the best way to reduce the burning sensations that you are going through as the viscosity of honey helps in coating the esophagus. Many people drink milk for the same reason but, drinking milk can give relief to the food pipe temporarily as milk produces excessive acid in the stomach.
In case of frequent acidity or acid reflux cases you should consult your doctor without delaying any further. Whereas infrequent acid reflux cases can be easily dealt by having a systematic dietary plan and living a healthy lifestyle. Don’t have foods that will stimulate the acid reflux such as tomato sauce, chocolate, alcohol, coffee, onions and citrus foods. Nighttime can be the worst time for your heart burn, in cases like these, eat less during nighttime and try eating 2 to 3 hours before sleeping, also, use pillows to position your head higher than you stomach.
What are the ways of using Honey for Acid reflux?
- Have one or two tablespoons of honey every day.
- You can also consume hot water by adding a tinge of honey (one tablespoon) every morning.
- For severe heartburns, you should make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder. Apply this paste on your bread, instead of applying jelly or jam. Eat this bread for breakfast every day for effective results.
- If you are a yoghurt fan and have yoghurt with very meal, add 1-2 spoons of honey to help you with problems of acid reflux and indigestion.
- A mixture of vinegar and honey for acidity has been popular since many years. Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey to 8 ounces of water and drink it before every meal.
- Use any of these methods and this will relieve you from acidity problems.
Did you know many even use honey for Weight management*? Find out what are the other benefits of honey.
Consumer voice has awarded Dabur Honey as the No.1 Honey
brand in India and this is a big enough reason for you to try out one of the Best Honey Brands in India today!
The benefits of Honey are innumerable as it not only helps in weight management but also in many other things as well. For example, if you are suffering from cold and cough, mix some ginger and honey and consume the mixture daily. The mixture will act as an antioxidant and will cure your illness naturally.
Grab a bottle of Dabur Honey today!