Honey For Cough
Cough is a way of clearing the throat. It is considered to be a good thing. Things are not supposed to be present in your lungs and cough is your body’s way of clearing it. If this process sustains for a few weeks it is a matter of concern, and needs your doctor’s concern. Wet cough is your body’s way of clearing the mucus or foreign irritants that finds home in your airway. Mild cough or flu can be relieved in by using some home remedies. The best alternative treatment for cough without any side effects is the use of honey.
Is Honey Good for Cough
Honey for cough is a better and a cheaper treatment option than the drugs purchased from over-the-counter. Honey relieves inflammation in the throat or the lungs due to its viscous and sticky nature that helps in relieving the mucous membranes. In the case of bacterial infection, the antibacterial properties of honey ensure relief from cough. We all know that honey is a powerhouse of antioxidants which strengthens the immune systems to defend your airways from bacteria and foreign objects. Some experiments conducted on the children of age two and older with common cold and respiratory tract infections were given up to 2 teaspoons of honey before bedtime. Honey proved miraculous in reducing nighttime coughing and improving sleep. The research also proved that honey was as effective as the cough suppressant, than dextromethorphan. Thus, honey for cough cure is definitely worth it.
Benefits of Honey for Cough :
Is your persistent cough irritating you? Is it not letting you sleep, or acting as a hindrance in your meetings? Are over-the-counter medicines not showing any productivity? These benefits of honey for cough will leave you baffled.
Honey has antibacterial properties that helps to throw the harmful cough-causing bacteria out of the body. It is a powerhouse of vital nutrients such as potassium, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, and copper. For healthy functioning, the body needs these minerals. Also, the existence of these nutrients in honey helps to stay fit and healthy. Out of the vast set of benefits that these nutrients provide are the antioxidants that help in getting rid of the harmful free radicals from the body. One of the beneficial properties that high-quality honey contains is that it has very low water content, and hence easily attracts the surrounding tissues to use water.
Hope you found these benefits of honey good enough to give it a shot next time you face irritating cough symptoms.
How to use Honey for Cough and Cold?
Honey for Cough :
- Have a teaspoon of honey thrice a day.
- If the cough is horribly irritating to hinder your sleep, then eat a tablespoon of honey every day before going to bed.
Ginger and Honey for Cough:
- Take four cups of water, mix three tablespoons of chopped ginger and one tablespoon of dried peppermint.
- Boil this mixture and let it simmer until the liquid becomes half.
- Remove it from the flame and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Then, put a cup of honey in the mixture.
- Store this concoction in an airtight container and keep it inside the refrigerator.
- Every four hours, take a tablespoon of the mixture to relieve the cough.
Solution stays good for three weeks.
Lemon Juice and Honey for Cough :
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with one tablespoon of honey.
- Consume the concoction everyday in the morning.
For additional benefits, add one tablespoon of coconut oil or a tinge of pepper.
Grab a bottle of Dabur Honey today!